Muesli is a great go-to breakfast, however most packaged options are really high in sugar and low in nutrients. My toasted muesli is packed full of goodness, high in omega 3s, and uses minimal natural sugar from honey. The smell of this toasting will be hard to resist.
The real secret (well not soooo secret) ingredient in there is coconut – both coconut oil and coconut threads. This lifts the sweet flavour of the muesli without being laden with lots of dried fruit (which does have a lot of sugar). The goji berries add a really nice colour (and you will find little ones like these too).
2 cups of oats (not milk oats)
1/2-3/4 cup of coconut threads
1/3 cup of pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup of walnut pieces
1 tb of honey
2-3 tb of coconut oil (softened)
1/3 cup of goji berries
Note: these are approximate serving sizes, I find you can experiment a lot with these ingredients!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a shallow tin (brownie tin) with baking paper.
- Put all dry ingredients on the tray (except for the goji berries).
- Mix in the honey and coconut oil with the back of the spoon.
- Toast in the oven until golden brown for approximately 20 minutes.
- Take out, allow to cool slightly and sprinkle over goji berries
This will store well in an air-tight container (unless eaten!).
Muesli makes a great breakfast option when pregnant or in the early new born days especially for breastfeeding. For more expert tips on eating well for breastfeeding (including for windy babies) be sure to check out my electronic Breastfeeding Guide.
xxx Dr Julie Bhosale