I have to confess, I have a weak spot for chocolate and chocolate creations…but it still has to be made from quality ingredients! A treat in my opinion can still nourish you and homemade is always the best for knowing just what is inside – it may surprise you to find out just what can be inside some of the packaged options.
This healthier version of the popular hedgehog slice is quite possibly my best chocolate creation to date! It is made using Nairns Oat Biscuits which have significantly less sugar than your usual chocolate cookies (you can read this comparison on my blog here). This means per serving of this mouth watering slice there is only 7g of sugar per serve. Not to mention it is packed with other nutritious ingredients like coconut and sliced almonds PLUS it requires no baking – you will want to book mark this one!
Nutritional Breakdown (per serve/16 portions)
Sat Fat 12g
1 x 200g Packet of Nairns Chocolate Oat Biscuits
½ Cup desiccated coconut (plus extra for topping)
2 tb of coco
70g sliced almonds
200g Dark Chocolate (100g for slice, 100g for icing)
1 Tb honey
1. Grease and line a shallow square or rectangle cake tin.
2. Crush biscuits in a large bowl, add the coconut, coco, sliced almonds.
3. In a saucepan melt the chocolate (100g), butter and honey. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg.
4. Add the chocolate mixture to the biscuit mixture and pour into the cake tin, smoothing the top.
5. Cool in fridge or freezer and melt the remaining chocolate in a double bowl over the heat. Spread chocolate on top of slice and sprinkle coconut on. Cut into slices to serve. Makes about 16 squares.
Happy hedgehog slice eating,
xxx Dr Julie Bhosale