Kids love individual portions…ok to be fair….big people do as well! These mini bacon and egg pies will be a huge hit with all family members. The filo pastry makes them nice and light, bacon and eggs are always a winning combination and I even managed to sneak a tiny bit of vegetables in there too!
These will make a great meal option for both lunch and dinner – and work especially well for lunch boxes as they taste just as good cold! I am sure you will win some brownie points when you pull these out of the oven!
1 Packet of Filo Pastry
1/4 Cup butter, melted
3 Rashers of bacon
1/3 Cup of corn kernels
1/4 Cup of milk
1/2 Cup grated cheese (for top)
6 Cherry tomatoes
Note: In regards to use pastry (as you can tell) I use pre-made pastry, you can read more on this in my blog ‘Homemade Vs Pre-Made Pastry‘.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
2. In a medium sized fry pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside.
3. Prepare the filo: brush 1 sheet of filo with butter, top with another sheet. Cut into 10cm squares to fit your muffin pan (I get 8 squares out of mine). Place 1 square diagonally over another to give 8 points. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheets and butter until all muffin holes are fill.
4. Place a small amount of bacon and corn kernels in each muffin hole. In a separate bowl, break in the eggs, add the milk and whisk together. Pour egg mixture in (these will only rise a fraction so you can fill quite high).
5. Top with grated cheese, cut tomatoes in half and press into each one. Bake uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until egg is cooked and cheese is melted.
6. Allow to cool slight and then carefully lift pies out (the filo is delicate). Enjoy!
P.S If you have a soft spot for healthy homemade pies, just quietly my Moroccan Chicken Pie recipe in my cook book Healthy Easy Dinners for Busy Mums is a crowd favourite and I am sure it will be in your home too!
xxx Dr Julie Bhosale