Liver is one of the most nutrient dense foods available. Packed full of iron, B-vitamins and folate plus a great source of protein.
However, it can be tricky including this in a meal the whole family will enjoy! This recipe is a great way to sneak in liver in a tasty yet simple way – with hidden vegetables as well!
Just allow time to prepare the liver (either over night or a few hours prior).
100-200g Beef liver
500g Beef mince
1 Tb crushed garlic
2-3 Tb paprika
1 Carrot, grated
3-4 Button mushrooms, chopped
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
3 Tb pasta sauce
4-5 Sheets of flaky puff pastry
Milk (for pastry wash)
1. Prepare the liver by neutralising with lemon (over 6 hours) and process to resemble the same texture as the mince (see my previous blog for more details if needed.)
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a tray with baking paper. Prepare the vegetables in bowls (to be able to add to the pan quickly). If the pastry is not defrosted, take out of the freezer at this point.
3. Heat a fry pan on medium, add oil and then quickly add onions followed by garlic and paprika. Add the processed liver and brown in the pan coating well in the seasoning.
3. Add the mince to the pan and when browned, add the mushrooms and carrots. Stir to combine.
4. Put in a dash of Worcestershire sauce and the pasta sauce (only add a little bit as per instructions or the beef mixture will have too much fluid). Take off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
5. Cut the pastry into rounds. I tend to use two sizes (a cup size and bowl size) for both the big and little people! Place a spoonful (or more, size depending) of the mixture in the middle of the pastry and then crimp edges together forming a seam along the top.
(If you want to read my review on using pre-made pastry you can here).
6. Place on the baking tray and brush with milk. Repeat until all parcels are complete. Bake for approx 30-40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before eating (unless you have little hands grabbing at them!).
xxx Dr Julie Bhosale